What is a Kilim Motif?
Kilim Motif Definition
- A kilim motif is the message created by the weaver of a kilim relating to the culture, religion, beliefs, and social life of the past times. A motif is signified by the patterns, colors, and shapes woven into the rug espoused by the emotions and feelings of the weaver**, such as their inner feelings, desires, daily life, grief, fear, happiness, sadness, etc.
- **Traditionally, women wove the kilim rugs while men were at war or hunt.
Cultural Significance of Kilim Motifs
- The tastes and traditions of local and regional characteristics largely dictated the motifs - colors, sizes and shapes - weavers constructed into a kilim. The motifs weaved into a kilim would've been tied directly to the emotions and identity of the weaver at the time, thus making their significance personal and purpose thoughtful.
- Kilim motifs represented various human experiences.
- Kilim motifs are a media of transferring cultural heredity.
Animals (Bird, Wolf's mouth, Scorpion, Dragon)
Plants (tree of life, Burdock)
Kilim Motifs and Res Ipsa
Today, Res Ipsa recycles vintage Turkish kilim and gives the unique textile an international flair. Using Western shapes and styles, we merge East and West, ancient and modern, significance and purpose. In company with the emphasis of its one-of-a-kind qualities and deeply thoughtful creation, we seek to spread the magic of kilim to Western culture in a modern form.Ancient cultures used kilim motifs to communicate their various human experiences. Today, Res Ipsa breathes lifes into ancient kilim by transforming the materials into our premium handmade luxury goods inspired by our travels. The thing speaks for itself. #OurBrandisTravel
Dedcoding the Magic
Res Ipsa men's kilim loafers featuring the eye motif.
Res Ipsa men's kilim loafers with the earring motif. This motif signifies marriage or a common wedding present (hint hint).